Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Not quite how I imagined it....

Right, I’m pretty sure this is not how I imagined life was going to be when I was growing up. I pretty much had a white picket fence idea in mind. You know, me married to a wonderful man who supported me while I stayed home to look after our kids …. 3 or 4 of them. I would run the house and do some gardening and cook dinner for family meals around the table……..

Fast Forward a couple of years:

Here I am married to a great guy (who drives me up the wall quite often but whom I love dearly), 2 kids, 3 dogs, a cat that’s gone missing presumed dead, and a bunny. All of us living in a rented house. I work full time, dogs not house trained (on account of having to live in the house all day long to avoid them from attaching people walking past our house during the day). The bunny living in daughters room, since the dogs will kill it at any given moment.

O what else did I dream of, cooking family meals …. Yeah right I have an extremely fussy husband, 1 daughter who thinks that her father’s way of eating must be right and a son who I need to beg to eat most days (he claims he’s watching his weight). I on the other hand fight a constant battle with my weight/self control! But at least I know, for a fact, that I’m not the only woman who does this. If we manage 1 family mean a month around the table I’m thrilled!

Running the house …. Well lets see, between working full time, and having to take care of above mentioned house hold members, keeping house is easier said than done. I know, there are thousands of women all over the world who seem to manage just fine but I don’t! I do the laundry & ironing. Sweep & mom the floor regularly but as for the rest, well I do that when I have the time and inclination.

Do some gardening …. In my dreams! Although I can say that I have managed to grow some strawberries. It was all unintentional but I’ve done it so I’m very proud.
We bought some strawberry plants but never got round to finding the perfect spot for them. In the mean time they grew where I had plonked them down and continued to grow. They survived the winter snow and the abuse from the dogs to provide us with the most delicious fat strawberries!  Who knew I could grow anything?

O and the husband who was going to support me… well he did for about 3 years (for which I’m very grateful). But for the moment he is in-between jobs. He’s last business venture didn’t pan out and at the moment we’re waiting for the next one to take off (and boy if and when it does it’s going to be AMAZING and I might never ever have to work again!). So, in the mean time he does odd jobs and drive me insane by watching too much tv and doing that other ‘unmentionable’ thing that men like to do when they have too much time on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment